Sorry for the shorter post this time around, I’m scrambling to get some work stuff done before we leave for Chicago for the Thanksgiving holiday. We’re looking forward to the trip - the forecast calls for a 10% chance of snow and a 90% chance of Portillo’s.
These photos, however, say a thousand words. They’re from 1949 and show a Kroger interior in fine form. I love the wide shot, showing the checkout ladies with their official Kroger uniforms and heavy-duty cash registers, several well (and warmly) dressed customers, the bright white walls, and of course the bold, colorful graphics of the era’s product packaging. Of course there’s a box of Tide, “the washday miracle”, that most photogenic of consumer products. In the foreground are some bottled juices, including Sunsweet Prune Juice. Whenever my grandparents from Rhode Island came to visit us, a couple of these bottles would mysteriously show up on our kitchen counter. 25 years afterward, the labels looked virtually the same as those pictured. And it didn’t taste bad, provided you drank it in (very) small quantities. Of course it had other effects as well, and as my Grandpa used to say…..wait, on second thought, I’ll spare you that.
The artist’s rendering below shows a typical Kroger exterior from the same period.
Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!