In 1957 Jewel acquired Eisner Food Stores, a 43-store chain of supermarkets with operations in downstate Illinois (primarily Champaign and Springfield) and Western Indiana. Within a few years, the Eisner stores began to closely resemble Jewel in both appearance and marketing strategies, although Eisner continued to be managed from Champaign.
By the early 60's, the company realized that Eisner's existing market population would only support a limited number of new full-blown supermarkets, so they implemented an interesting strategy. A wholesale division was established in 1963 to complement the corporate-owned store operation. Eisner sought out successful independent grocery operators for the purpose of converting their stores to "Eisner Agency" stores and supplying them on a wholesale basis, very similar to the "Walgreen Agency" stores which once existed in many areas of the country. The photo is from 1965.